Mentoring sessions complement your classroom experience and help you increase your knowledge and understanding or course concepts. Voluntary sessions are an optional opportunity to get support in select courses, while mandatory sessions are officially associated with certain classes as a recitation.
Attend a mentoring session
Voluntary mentoring sessions are regularly scheduled, informal review sessions in which you compare notes, discuss readings, develop organizational tools, and predict test items with other students. You will learn how to integrate course content and study skills while working together. Voluntary mentoring is a free program designed to enhance your understanding of course content and to raise grades while working collaboratively with peers.
As a participant in voluntary mentoring, you will:
- Develop various study skills to enhance your academic performance
- Learn processes and methodologies for effective learning (e.g., learning strategies, note-taking skills, verbalizing concepts)
- Enrich your understanding of course content
Voluntary mentoring session times
Voluntary mentoring sessions are offered for the courses listed below. The schedules are updated prior to the beginning of each semester and are continuously updated throughout the semester with relevant changes. Click on the course of interest below to download the most recent academic mentoring schedule:
BIOL-N 217 BUS-X 100 SOC-R 100
Mandatory mentoring is an exciting and unique program that combines the idea of what to learn with how to learn through weekly sessions led by a fellow student who has already demonstrated the ability to perform well in class. By facilitating collaborative learning sessions, mentors help you develop study skills and master course content. Mandatory mentoring is a 1.25 hours-per-week session.
When you are registering for classes, you will see this session labeled as a recitation for the corresponding course and should speak to your advisor about registering for mandatory mentoring sessions.
As a participant in mandatory mentoring, you will:
- Acquire knowledge and skills and develop characteristics necessary for future academic success
- Receive content-specific background information to assist you in making connections to the homework and lectures for the course